The Humanitarian Assistance Officer is responsible for program support functions for the Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA). The Humanitarian Assistance Officer contributes to the monitoring and oversight of general compliance and programmatic performance, and works to enhance Global Communities’ emergency response portfolio. The portfolio may include but is not limited to support of multi-sectoral programs in Syria, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, Yemen, and other emergency response and post-disaster transition activities.
1. Supports program performance management.
- Monitors program progress and provides technical, operational, and administrative assistance to field teams in support of effective program management. Coordinates with appropriate HQ and field personnel to resolve issues and develop solutions.
- Coordinates the contracts/agreements approval process and ensures adherence to contractual policies and procedures, communicating with the Office of Grants and Contracts and the Legal Department as needed.
- Support effective program financial management.
- Support the Development, Review and submission of monthly draw requests, fiscal year and life-of-project budgets. Communicates with the Finance Department as needed.
- Reviews (or drafts as needed) donor reports and deliverables to ensure quality, compliance, and timely submission. Communicates program progress and challenges to donors.
- Tracks, analyzes, and regularly reports on program indicators, progress against targets, program successes and lessons learned. Provides program updates to senior management at HQ and in the field.
- Supports the recruitment process for program-funded positions in the field.
- Coordinates and participates in program start-up and closeout activities.
- Develops standard program start-up and closeout tools.
- Updates current awards information for all programs including cost centers, start and end dates and other pertinent data.
- Trains, guides, and mentors Program Associates/Project Assistants.
2. Contributes to the development and implementation of HA’s department strategy and new business development opportunities.
- Conducts research and provides technical support, including GIS/mapping, on new humanitarian assistance initiatives.
- Represents Global Communities at relevant coordination forums to gather and share information; establishes and maintains positive working relationships with other humanitarian assistance actors.
- Participates in field humanitarian needs assessments in rapid-onset and on-going emergency settings to expand or design new response efforts and serves as an emergency information/reports officer or program officer as needed.
3. Undertakes all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.